Now being offered for the first time in Australia, pregnant women and their partners can benefit from the world’s leading and most comprehensive childbirth education program.
The Benefits of Lamaze During Childbirth
You can’t truly prepare for the unpredictability of labour and birth, but a great way to learn about your options is to take a Lamaze class. As a certified Lamaze educator, I want to help you understand what Lamaze is all about – it may not be what you think.
It’s not just about breathing.
I receive many calls from expectant mums who want me to teach them “Lamaze breathing.” I quickly explain that today’s classes don’t teach mum how to “hee hee hoo” labour away. Breathing definitely has benefits for mother and baby during labour, but Lamaze is no longer a “method,” it’s a philosophy of birth.
According to Lamaze International:
- Birth is normal, natural and healthy.
- The experience of birth profoundly affects women and their families.
- Women’s inner wisdom guides them through birth.
- Women’s confidence and ability to give birth is either enhanced or diminished by the care provider and place of birth.
- Women have the right to give birth free from routine medical interventions.
- Birth can safely take place in homes, birth centres and hospitals.
- Childbirth education empowers women to make informed choices in health care, to assume responsibility for their health and to trust their inner wisdom.
How Lamaze supports natural birth
This philosophy is based on the organization’s six care practices that support normal birth:
1. Labour begins on its own.
2. Freedom of movement throughout labour.
3. Continuous labour support.
4. No routine interventions.
5. Spontaneous pushing in upright or gravity-neutral positions.
6. No separation of mother and baby after birth with unlimited opportunity for breastfeeding.
birthwell birthright is committed to promoting, supporting and protecting every woman’s right to give birth, confident in her own ability, free to find comfort in a wide variety of ways, and supported by her family and all members of her health care team.
HOT OFF THE PRESS!
birthwell birthright founder Tanya Strusberg is featured in the September 2013 issue of Practical Parenting – Australia’s #1 parenting magazine!
Click on the magazine cover above and read Caroline James’ excellent article on pregnancy well being.
I’d love to hear from you, so please feel free to get in touch with me any time or fill in the form on the contact me page and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
You can also visit me on Facebook!
Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator (LCCE)
“Life comes through us, simply and gracefully, when we allow it.“
Sarah Buckley (Doctor and natural birth advocate)
Disclaimer: The information contained on this website and provided during my courses is of a general nature only and does not constitute formal medical advice. Any specific medical problem should be referred directly to a qualified health professional. birthwell birthright does not accept liability for any actions taken based on this material.