Midwives play an essential role in ensuring healthy, satisfying birth, and breastfeeding initiation. The Lamaze Evidence Based Labour Support Skills Workshop provides midwives with the tools and information to create the bridge between knowledge and practice!
Target Audience: This workshop will benefit hospital-based midwives, and other health care providers who care for childbearing women.
Purpose: The purpose of this activity is to increase participant skills in the provision of evidence-based labour support to promote a natural, safe and healthy birth.
- One-day interactive, hands-on curriculum
- Appropriate for student midwives as well as new and experienced midwives
- Evidence-based skills to support normal physiology of labour, birth and breastfeeding
- Enhances job satisfaction
- Hospitals benefit through higher quality measure and patient satisfaction scores
- Childbearing families can benefit from a healthy and satisfying birth experience
- Analyse the midwife’s impact on maternal and neonatal outcomes and on maternal satisfaction
- Describe the role of the midwife in promoting normal, physiologic labour and birth
- Evaluate intra-partum practices according to standards of evidence-based care
- List components of a safe and supportive birth environment
- Practice a wide variety of non-pharmacologic labour support techniques which both enhance labour progress and decrease pain
- Adopt evidence-based strategies for supporting a labouring woman during second stage
- Describe effective practices to promote first attachment and exclusive breastfeeding.
- Identify strategies to overcome barriers to change
Upon completion of the program, learners will have:
- Increased confidence among participants that the supportive care they provide during labour and birth is evidence-based.
- Strategies for implementing evidence-based labour support measures within their practices.
- Increased knowledge of the role they play in improving outcomes relating to vaginal and Caesarean birth, exclusive breastfeeding, and consumer satisfaction, in line with the International Childbirth Initiative (ICI): The 12 Steps to Safe and Respectful MotherBaby-Family Maternity Care
- Increased expertise and skills in providing labour support.
This program has been approved for 8.0 Lamaze contact hours.
Cost per participant: Early bird $350 / Full fee $380 / Groups of 10+ $320 per participant